Fifth Generation Distributed Acoustic Sensing Interrogator
Delivering Long-Range, High-Sensitivity Quantitative Data
The Fifth Generation Distributed Acoustic Sensing Interrogator delivers long-range quantitative data performance with high-fidelity and sensitivity, providing the ultimate in interrogator systems for all manner of Distributed Fiber Optic Sensing applications.
Bringing Quantitative Data to Life
The Fifth Generation Distributed Acoustic Sensing Interrogator unit opens up a new realm of possibilities for those customers with a need for accurate, high-quality data streams from their linear monitoring systems. In the past, those jobs that required quantitative data were limited to a range of 10 km, making fiber-optic sensing too expensive and inefficient for longer-range applications.
The Fifth Generation DAS Interrogator changes all that by breaking through the 10 km barrier. This is the only interrogator unit that has the ability to provide high-quality data, with increased sensitivity, out to a range of 50 km, five times that of standard interrogator units. And unlike other systems in the market, the Fifth Generation DAS Interrogator has delivered proven results on a standard single-mode fiber optic cable, eliminating the need for costly specialty cables.
Quantitative data has always been at the heart of our downhole applications. Now the benefits of a quantitative approach has been brought to our industry-leading long-range applications. As a stand-alone device, or integrated into our software suites, the Fifth Generation DAS interrogator allows a wealth of new information routes that require better data quality and improved signal to noise ratio at longer ranges.
Applications for the Fifth Generation DAS Interrogator:
The Benefits of a Quantitative Approach
Our Intensity-only applications have delivered a huge benefit to our clients over the last decade with thousands of miles of deployments. The Fifth Generation DAS interrogator is prepared for the next revolution, opening up a wide range of extended capability and performance:
- Fundamental output from interferometer in specific, absolute units
- Reveal Strain behaviour at the same as acoustic behaviour allowing multiple applications to be delivered in parallel – e.g. Pipeline Strain at the same time as TPI
- Ability to process data as an array: beam forming / SNR via signal integration
- Linear response to signals
- True undistorted audio response
- Proven on standard single-mode fiber
At long ranges, the Fifth Generation DAS interrogator is our highest-performing device with a significant sensitivity gain over our baseline 3rd generation and 4th generation devices. The result of four years of technical development where a wholly new interrogation scheme allows us to move away from the frequency-limited dual-pulse approach. The Fifth Generation DAS interrogator serve as a basis from which we will build upon further in the future.
- Low phase noise, specially-developed RIO laser at the heart of the device
- Wider frequency range at all ranges – delivering 50% of ping rate – full Nyquist
- Up to 50km of quantitative data
The Fifth Generation DAS interrogator provides real-time delivery of quantitative phase and amplitude information over all distances. Other features include:
- +15dB noise floor improvement over equivalent mode 3rd generation: -61dB Rad/Hz (at start of 40km fibre)
- Easily adjustable gauge lengths which can be optimized for deployed cable length
- 1m output channel pitch
- 1/2 ping rate frequency output
- GPS time synchronization
- Flat frequency response including down to DC (0 Hz)
- Up to 50km data output, delivering 50,000 channels at 2 kHz ping rate acquired in real time – 100% of data can be written to SSD or RAID0 HDD
- Designed to maximally exploit the benefits of the latest engineered fibers and cables
- High-sensitivity and low noise floor for strain and temperature monitoring (mK/µε)
- Range of ping rates and acquisition options from 2km up to 200km-long cables gauge lengths from 2m to 35m
- Eye Safe Class 1 laser operations
Did You Know
Big data is only as good as the data discovery tools that optimize its visualization. OptaSense provides a range of platforms for acquiring in real time and analysing the large volumes of data that can be developed from the Fifth Generation DAS Interrogator.
Our simple Light Acquisition software that is bundled with the Fifth Generation DAS Interrogato can acquire and display 100% of the data it can generate– no mean feat at 3.2 Gbps! Our DXS Browser software can read the raw H5 data generated for post analysis.
The Fifth Generation DAS Interrogator is also designed to complement our latest integrated visualization software – OS6. Working at 10m Output Channel Pitch, the Fifth Generation DAS Interrogator integrates into the OS6 environment with our existing algorithm set providing a quantitative base to work from to expand into new applications. OS6 is a dynamic software platform that processes large volumes of data, which is delivered seamlessly in real-time to interactive visual interfaces that can be accessed from your desktop or in the palm of your hand.